Thang Long Water Puppet Theater, Hanoi – Unique beauty
Someone once said that “Not watching a water puppet show means not going to Vietnam.” That’s right! Puppet is a culture originated from the wet rice civilization of Vietnam. It contains all the thoughts, emotions, intellectual expression, creativity as well as the wishes of Vietnamese people. This is a special art form, containing all the harmony between people, nature, and everything.
So if you want to enjoy a water puppet show in the centre of Hanoi, here is a suggestion for you!
1/ Introduction: Thang Long Water Puppet Theater
Thang Long Water Puppet Theater was established in October 1969 under the investment and direction of the People’s Committee and Hanoi Department of Culture, Sports and Tourism. From an artistic troupe, the theater only has 9 actors graduated from Hanoi Art School.
Over nearly half a century of formation and development, the theater now has a staff of cadres, artists, actors, and technicians who are formally trained, highly qualified, dynamic, creative and have full of enthusiasm. They can undertake many roles, many performing styles, … on par with international puppet artists.
In 2004, Thang Long Puppet Theater was the first art unit to perform the model of artistic socialization. Since then, the theater has always worked well, effectively. The revenue for the following year is higher than the previous year. Moreover, Thang Long Puppet Theater focuses on developing disciplines, investing in constructing many puppet shows, water puppets attractively, attracting domestic and foreign audiences. The theater socializes performing activities, stabilizes and develops strongly in the period of country socialization.
On September 18, 2013, the Asia record organization officially established the Thang Long Puppet Theater as “the only Asian theater to achieve the record of water puppet performance 365 days/year”. The theater has become an attractive cultural destination for foreign tourists coming to Vietnam and those who are interested in learning about the unique traditional culture of the nation.
Thang Long Puppet Theater is a place to enrich the art of water puppetry of the nation. Coming to there, you will feel the space of traditional folk puppet theater right from the architectural decoration.
Teu clown’s performance
Puppets are performed on a lake making stage and artists soaking in water to control puppets from behind a screen. Puppets are controlled via underwater poles or a special arrangement of wires.
The places right in the middle of the stage, in the front rows, are the best places to see all the shows and watch the puppets but remember that this is also a very prone to splashing water between stages.
Let yourself follow ancient stories, legends and the cheers of the audience when dragons or characters suddenly appear from under the water.
2/ Address of Thang Long Water Puppet Theater
Foreign guests wait to see the water puppet show
Thang Long Puppet Theater is located on Dinh Tien Hoang Street, next to the ancient Hoan Kiem Lake, in the centre of Hanoi Capital. From the theater, you can also visit famous places of Hanoi such as Ngoc Son Temple, Ly Thai To Park, Opera House, Temple of Literature – Quoc Tu Giam, Hanoi Old Quarter, National Museum Of Vietnamese History, Women’s Museum, Hoa Lo Prison …
In order to move to the theater, you can also use different means of transport:
● Taxi – technology – G7, Mai Linh: 0438616161 Taxi Group 0438262626
● Motorbike technology – 0912490490
● Take the bus (Use the bus finder application to search or access website http://timbus.vn/) or use google map to check https://www.google.com/maps
● Bus routes to Thang Long Water Puppet Theater: 02, 14, 18, 31, 32, 34, 38
3/ Opening time
The water puppet show at the theater lasts about 45 minutes. To be able to enjoy the special water puppet performance of the theater, you can choose the following time frames:
● From Monday to Saturday: at 1:45 pm, 3:00 pm, 4:10 pm, 5:20 pm, 6:30 pm, 8:00 pm, 9:15 pm.
● On Sunday at 09:30 am, 1:45 pm, 3:00 pm, 4:10 pm, 5:20 pm, 6:30 pm, 8:00 pm, 9:15 pm.
4/ Ticket price
● First-class seat: 100,000đ/ticket.
● Second-class seat: 60,000đ/ticket.
● If using a camera, the surcharge is 20,000đ/machine and the camcorder is 60,000 đ/machine
5/ Some places to rest
And after the end of the show, stay for a while to enjoy the picturesque Hoan Kiem Lake with a refreshing drink at the theater’s cafe.
Foreigners buy water puppets as a souvenir
Or if you are looking for a hotel to rest, you can find the following hotels:
● Meracus Hotel (Hoan Kiem District): 40m from Thang Long Puppet Theater
● Hanoi A1 Hotel (Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi): 50m from Thang Long Puppet Theater
● Hanoi Bella Rosa Suite Hotel (Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi): 50m from Thang Long Puppet Theater
● Hanoi Bella Rosa Hotel (Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi): 50m from Thang Long Puppet Theater
● Hanoi La Siesta Central Hotel & Spa (Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi): 0.1km from Thang Long Puppet Theater
● Hanoi HM Boutique Hotel (Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi): 0.1km from Thang Long Puppet Theater
Thang Long Water Puppet Theater
Address: 57b Đinh Tiên Hoàng – Hoan Kiem District – Hanoi – Vietnam.
Tel: 024 38249494 – 024 38255450
At Thang Long Water Puppet Theater, this is a unique art program formed from the Red River Delta for more than 1,000 years. Coming there, you will see the puppet shows recreating the ancient legends, myths, and history of Vietnamese in a lively and fascinating way.
Come and see Hanoi Water Puppet Show at Thang Long Water Puppet Theater to make your travel more enjoyable!